The following ride classifications and terrain ratings are used in the club newsletter, The HUB, to provide potential ride attendees with an idea of what to expect on a particular ride.
An example ride listing:
TUESDAY, JAN 31
B+, 2/3, 35 10:00 AM
Starting at Lyons Mall in Basking Ridge.
Please call to confirm ride.
John Kurzel, 908-555-1212
- B+ indicates a steady 14-15 mph pace
- Note the speed may vary during ride, depending on terrain.
- 2/3 means over rolling to large hills
- 35 indicates that the ride will cover approximately 35 miles
- The ride starts at 10:00 AM, sharp
- The ride leader has requested that riders call to confirm they are joining the ride
- The ride leader's name and contact phone number are provided
- Note on leaderless rides: Any Leaderless Rides listed in The HUB are different from the other rides in that either has no predetermined leader. If you attend, you may or may not find someone assuming the leadership role.
- Speed indicates average upon completion of ride.
- Speed may vary during ride, depending on terrain.
For Average speed
AX strong, experienced cyclists in top physical condition 18 mph or more A+ strong, experienced cyclist 17-18 mph A strong, experienced cyclist 16-17 mph A - strong, experienced cyclist 15-16 mph B+ good, competent cyclists 14-15 mph B good, competent cyclists 13-14 mph B - good, competent cyclists 12-13 mph C+ average cyclists 11-12 mph C average cyclists 10-11 mph C - average cyclists 9-10 mph D novice cyclists 9 mph or less ATB All-Terrain and Hybrids ...will vary with terrain
and riders' experience.
MTB All-Terrain Bikes only ...will vary
- Hill Mania (multiple long and/or steep climbs)
- Large Hills (such as Hillcrest Road in Warren or Johnston Drive in Watchung)
- Rolling Hills (such as Valley Road in Warren Township)
- Flat (except for the occasional overpass)
- 1 Log: Novice. Basically flat. Typically tow paths and fire roads.
- 2 Logs: Intermediate. Rolling. Rough paths and fire roads.
- 3 Logs: Advanced. Numerous steep hills, some technical.
1 Log: Novice. Basically flat to smooth.
- 2 Logs: Intermediate. Rolling rugged.
- 3 Logs: Advanced. Hilly, technical.